- Why is it so important that I hire a NATE certified, licensed contractor?
- How can I be sure a contractor is licensed?
- Why should I install a Whole House system Vs. a portable / one-room unit?
- Where can I find brochures for my humidifier and air cleaner?
- How can I become part of your "Find a Local Contractor" data base for home owners?
- As a contractor, what are the benefits of my business being included in your "Find a Local Contractor" database?
- I am a wholesaler and want to begin offering your products. How do I get started?
- Do you have any job openings at General Filters, Inc.?
- Where can I find my Installation / Owner's Manual?
- Where are you located?
- I need a replacement filter / part. Where can I get it?
- I used your "Find a Local Contractor" tool, but when I searched using my zip code, no contractors were listed. Why?
- Where can I download Adobe Reader?
- I tried to place an order online, but your order form would not accept my address and I was unable to complete my order.
- I purchased a whole unit from Amazon. I have a warranty claim and am not sure who to contact.
Our "Installation and Owner's Manuals" are written for both the contractor and the home owner. Keep yours handy for proper maintenance and repair reference for the life of your unit. If you no longer have yours, you can download the applicable manual here
While our products are manufactured for whole house residential applications, commercial installation is acceptable. Please carefully review product specifications prior to installation to ensure the model adequately accommodates your space.
EXCEPTION: Installation of our steam humidifiers in commercial settings is not recommended. To install a steam humidifier in a commercial setting voids their warranty.
If you suspect you are being subjected to carbon monoxide poisoning get fresh air IMMEDIATELY. Open windows and doors for more ventilation, turn off any combustion appliances, and leave the house. You could lose consciousness and die from carbon monoxide poisoning if you do nothing. It is also important to contact a doctor IMMEDIATELY for a proper diagnosis. Remember to tell your doctor that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning is causing your problems. Prompt medical attention is important.
Remember that some symptoms from combustion pollutants - headaches, dizziness, sleepiness, coughing, and watery eyes - may also occur because of common medical problems. These medical problems include colds, the flu or allergies. Similar symptoms may also occur because of other indoor air pollutants. Contact your doctor for a proper diagnosis.
To help your doctor make the correct diagnosis, try to have answers to the following questions:
- Do your symptoms occur only in the home? Do they disappear or decrease when you leave home, and reappear when you return?
- Is anyone else in your household complaining of similar symptoms, such as headaches, dizziness, or sleepiness? Are they complaining of nausea, watery eyes, coughing, or nose and throat irritation?
- Do you always have symptoms?
- Are your symptoms getting worse?
- Do you often catch colds or get the flu?
- Are you using any combustion appliances in your home?
- Has anyone inspected your appliances lately? Are you certain they are working properly?
Your doctor may take a blood sample to measure the level of carbon monoxide in your blood if he or she suspects carbon monoxide poisoning. This sample will help determine whether carbon monoxide is affecting your health.
Contact qualified appliance service people to have your appliances inspected and adjusted if needed. You should be able to find a qualified person by asking your appliance distributor or your fuel supplier. In some areas, the local fuel company may be able to inspect and adjust the appliance.
A contractor cannot obtain a license without possessing a minimum amount of training / experience / knowledge / skill; therefore they are more qualified to do the job. Because they are more likely to do the job correctly the first time, you'll experience fewer callbacks and less frustration. Most often people that take the time to get certified are more likely to enjoy their job and are more likely to stay with it a long time. The applicant also may be subjected to a criminal history background check, and must not have any unresolved contracting complaints outstanding.
Should you experience problems with licensed contractor, a residential property owner has significant protections not available to persons utilizing an unlicensed contractor. Among them is the ability to file a complaint against the contractor's license, in most cases, for a period of two years from the date of occupancy or date the last work was performed (check local laws). This is your guarantee should the workmanship be below standard or in violation of existing codes.
A NATE certification is not required to be a licensed contractor; however, a NATE certified contractor has gone through some of the most rigorous training in the field. NATE certification tests represent real world working knowledge of HVACR systems. All of the NATE tests are rigorous, multiple-choice, knowledge-based tests and validate a technician’s knowledge.
- Ask him / her to provide written proof of licensing and insurance.
- Confirm with the company; ask if they do background checks and drug screenings of their employees.
- Ask them for online references, such as facebook, Angie's List or Google Places. (Anyone can give you a list of people who like them. The online sources are not as easily controlled by the contractor and represent a more solid investment in his / her / the businesses' future.)
- Ask for their product, parts and labor warranty information. (Do they back their work?)
Additionally, to ensure satisfaction of the work you hire this person to do, you may also ask:
- What is your experience? (How many years have you been doing this?)
- Does your organization, or do you, carry a Surety Bond? (If the contractor fails to meet conditions of the bond, the consumer may file a claim against the bond.) Simple liability insurance does not necessarily protect the home owner.
- Do you carry any special certifications? (Certifications represent someone who has sought further education above and beyond meeting the minimum requirements to get a license!)
- Will you provide a written estimate of the work?
Portable units can be very effective in treating a room in which they are placed, but they treat the air in their immediate vicinity only. Unfortunately, you travel to other contaminated rooms throughout your home. When you re-enter the treated room, you re-infect the room with the same contaminants you are trying to remove. You would have to purchase a portable unit for every room of your home to ensure the whole house is treated.
Portable units can take up ample space in a room (felt most by those living in tight quarters) and aren't always very attractive. Additionally, one-room, portable units require more maintenance and can be quite noisy.
Whole House systems are easily installed in you HVAC system; are quiet, out of site and require little maintenance. Additionally, the whole house is protected 24-7; 365 days per year.
Find brochures for all GeneralAire® products here on our literature page. Literature for a particular product can also be found on each product (humidifier, dehumidifier, air cleaner, UV Air Purifier, heat / energy recovery ventilator) page throughout our site. In addition product catalogues / guides for GeneralAire® and General Filters, Inc. products can be found here.
Fill out our Contractor List Request Form. Once submitted, your information will be reviewed to ensure that when a home owner contacts you, that you will help them with their GeneralAire® products. Once this has been confirmed, we will be pleased to add you to our data base.
As a contractor, what are the benefits of my business being included in your "Find a Local Contractor" database?
- First and most obvious, if a home owner needs a contractor and performs a search using their zip code, any contractor listed within 50 miles of that zip code will appear. You have an opportunity to gain a new client.
- Second, by including a link to your website, home owners can go to your site to learn more about you, your services and any promotions you might be offering.
- The more often you list your business link in other locations throughout the web, the higher the chance for people to find you!
To become a customer submit a minimum $100 order using this order form, along with your credit references to our customer service department at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Once this information is received, it will be reviewed by our accounting department. You will be contacted if approved and your order will be processed. If you need more information, please call our toll free number (866) 476-5101 and ask to speak to the customer service department.
Are you ambitious? Do you desire to be the best at what you do? Do you have a "can-do" attitude? Do you have a real passion to make a difference? We want you!;
If you are interested in working at General Filters, Inc., please call (866) 476-5101 and ask to speak with our HR department. They will be happy to tell you about any available positions.
We accept resumes throughout the year, as changes in staff can occur any moment. Keeping your resume on file helps us to quickly fill open positions with the most talented people.
For current job openings and employment information, click here.
All available Installation / Owners Manuals can be found here. In addition, Installation / Owners Manuals can also be found with each individual model (humidifier,dehumidifier, air cleaner, UV Air Purifier, heat / energy recovery ventilator) throughout the site.
Our address is 43800 Grand River Avenue in Novi, MI 48375.
If you travel to Novi from Highway 96, take the Novi Rd exit and head South. Drive approximately a quarter mile to Grand River Avenue. (Land Marks at Novi Rd and Grand River Avenue include the Novi Town Center, Bigby Coffee, Fidelity Bank, AT & T, a Mobile Gas Station and the Detroit Lacrosse Company) Take a right, heading West. We are approximately 1/4 mile on the right/North side of the road (Right after "One Salon"). Click here to see a map.
You may purchase your part via any of the following:
- Order it online. Click on "Shop IAQ Parts".
- Call to place an order Toll Free (866) 476-5101.
- Purchase your part through your local contractor / wholesaler.
We regret we cannot ship outside the USA. If you are located in Canada, however, call our Canadian offices and they will be happy to direct you to your local supplier. Their Toll Free Number: (888) 216-9184.
Your order will be shipped USPS-Priority Mail. We've found this to be the best value to you and provides additional benefits:
- USPS-Priority Mail allows you to have your package held with your other mail while out of town. Other carriers will leave it sitting outside your door or require you to come to their location to pick up your package.
- USPS-Priority Mail is as reliable and fast as other carriers.
- USPS-Priority Mail reaches over 90% of the United States within 2-3 days.
- For packages sent in one of the USPS standard-sized boxes/packages, you are not penalized for being located further away from our offices (than a closer zip code). USPS ships their standard-sized packages at a flat rate throughout the USA.
- USPS-Priority ships on Saturdays at no extra cost.
- There may be a rare occasion we would ship via a different carrier when we find it benefits YOU.
CALL YOUR ORDER IN, TOLL FREE: (866) 476-5101 in the following circumstances:
- To request a different carrier other than USPS Priority.
- If you need overnight delivery.
I used your "Find a Local Contractor" tool, but when I searched using my zip code, no contractors were listed. Why?
If you perform a search but the words "Sorry, there were no results that matched your search" was returned, it simply means we have yet to hear from contractors in your area that want to be listed with our site. They might not even know it exists.
If you hire a contractor with which you are pleased, please ask him / her to fill out the Contractor List Request Form to be included with our "Find a Local Contractor" search tool.
Your recommendation is one of the best ways we can be sure qualified, honest GeneralAire® contractors are included!
You can download the FREE Adobe Reader here.
I tried to place an order online, but your order form would not accept my address and I was unable to complete my order.
This occurs when someone tries to place an order from a location outside the USA. Unfortunately we cannot ship to locations outside the USA, however, we do have offices in Canada. If you live in Canada, please call Canadian General Filters at 888-216-9184 and they'll be happy to assist you.
For your safety and the longevity of your new IAQ product, our whole unit IAQ products are designed for professional installation only, and not for "do-it-yourselfers". In addition, we only sell to approved wholesalers and not sites like Ebay or Amazon. Buying from anyone other than an authorized dealer means you risk buying products that may have:
- parts missing
- been altered in some way
- been previously installed, uninstalled, and re-boxed for sale
We do not offer warranties for products sold by unauthorized sellers. You must go to the seller to seek a refund or repair in these instances.
Call our offices to find an authorized wholesaler: (866) 476-5101, or go to our website and click on "Find a Contractor" to find a qualified contractor for installation www.generalfilters.com.