Product Engineer – April 2014
General Filters, Inc. – Novi, MI 48375
General Filters, Inc. manufactures and markets a full line of whole house, residential HVAC indoor air quality products including humidifiers, dehumidifiers, air purifiers, air cleaners and filters under the brand names GeneralAire®, HealthyAire™, and CGF Products. Fuel oil filter brands include General, Unifilter®, and Gar-Ber. Recent acquisitions and new product development plans are driving the need for a Product Engineer. For more information see our website at www.generalfilters.com.
We're looking for someone who enjoys developing a product from concept through post-launch, has a hands-on "get it done" mindset, and prefers working in a small company atmosphere. You'll work closely with peers from other departments to develop a comprehensive plan to create and launch new products. With a variety of projects and activities in different areas, you will always be challenged and never bored.
We offer a supportive and friendly work environment, sane working hours, and a competitive salary and benefit package that includes insurance, profit sharing, and a performance bonus. Your efforts will be appreciated and you'll be able to immediately see your impact on the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Product Engineer is responsible for developing new products, supporting on-going development of current products, providing input into upstream research, and supporting other engineering activities. The essential duties and responsibilities are listed below. Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
· Advanced Product Development:
o Design, prototype, and test new products
o Drive the design to meet project targets
o Use a Phase-Gate project management process to effectively meet dates and deliverables
· On-going Product Development:
o Update current designs to provide product variants
o Continuous improvement of current product
o Identify and address product related issues
· Additional responsibilities include:
o Generate, prototype, and test early concepts
o Benchmark competitive product
o Contribute to Continuous Improvement activities
o Supporting U.S. and Canadian locations (estimate 5% travel)
- B.S. in Engineering
- 5-10 years of proven experience in the HVAC, appliance, or automotive industries managing projects from Concept through Post-Launch using a Phase-Gate system
- Design of plastic and metal components and small electromechanical assemblies to meet targets – function, cost, timing, manufacturability, appearance
- An understanding of related tooling, equipment, and manufacturing processes
- Hands on, self-starter, and self-directed with the ability to wear many different hats in a small company environment
- Ability to work with team members from all departments and respect the contributions of all individuals
- Knowledge of basic testing methodology
- CAD experience with SolidWorks (preferred) or other 3D CAD software
· ETL / UL product certification
· MSProject or equivalent
· ERP Software